Sumner was founded in 1853 as Stuck Junction and platted in 1883 by George H. Ryan, in anticipation of a stop on the Northern Pacific Railway. The town was named “Franklin” until 1891, when the Post Office Department requested that the name be changed to avoid confusion with similarly named towns. The name of abolitionist Senator Charles Sumner was chosen for the town after a lottery.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.62 square miles (19.74 km2), of which 7.51 square miles (19.45 km2) is land and 0.11 square miles (0.28 km2) is water. As of the census of 2010, there were 9,451 people, 3,980 households, and 2,454 families living in the city. The population density was 1,258.5 inhabitants per square mile (485.9/km2). There were 4,279 housing units at an average density of 569.8 per square mile (220.0/km2).
In addition to road and highway connections, Sumner is also served by Sounder commuter rail which stops at the railroad station in downtown and directly connects Sumner with much of the Puget Sound region, including Seattle and Tacoma.
Sumner hosts part of the annual four-part Daffodil Parade, which takes place every April in Tacoma, Puyallup, Sumner, and Orting. Source: (wikipedia)