After the displacement of the Snoqualmie tribe to reservations in the 1850s and 1860s, white Americans inhabited the Snoqualmie Valley. Tolt was formed in 1865 and platted in 1902. It is an Anglicized name for the Tolthue River (túlq or tultxʷ). Tolt was founded as a town on December 30, 1912, right after the Milwaukee Road was completed, connecting the community to Monroe to the north.
Numerous dairy farms were developed in the valley in the early 1900s, along with a test farm for the Carnation Evaporated Milk Company. In 1917, Tolt was renamed “Carnation” following lobbying by the corporation and acceptance by the state legislature. Local people and members of the Snoqualmie tribe opposed the renaming of the town, which was later restored back to Tolt on May 3, 1928. The post office and train depot retained the “Carnation” name, which was continued to be used by foreigners. On October 29, 1951, Tolt was renamed “Carnation.” Carnation shifted away from dairy farming in the late twentieth century and became a town for Eastside job hubs, expanding to a population of 2,282 by 2019.
Camlann Medieval Village, a living history museum depicting an English medieval village, is situated around 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) north of Carnation. Camlann was founded in the early 1980s with the mission of educating and entertaining schools, clubs, families, and people about life in 1376 England.
Remlinger Farms is a working farm situated less than one mile (1.6 kilometers) from the town center where families may spend time among the crops, eat food cultivated and grown locally, and enjoy park rides. (Source: Wikipedia)