Des Moines is situated on the east bank of Puget Sound, near the Seattle metropolitan area’s central business district. is bounded on the south by Federal Way, on the east by Kent, on the northeast by SeaTac, on the north by Burien, and on the northwest by Normandy Park. It is one of the few spots along this shoreline where the geography makes access to the water possible, and the city operates a recreational marina there with moorage, boat launching, and pier fishing facilities. Saltwater State Park, located in a steep valley between the Zenith and Woodmont districts, is the Sound’s most visited state park. Redondo has a boardwalk near the Federal Way border, replete with a Salty’s restaurant and a paid parking lot.
Land within the city has been purchased due to noise from aircraft landing or taking off at the Seattle–Tacoma International Airport, located 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) north of Des Moines.
There is no indication of permanent Native American habitation in Des Moines. However, significant evidence exists that the Duwamish and Muckleshoot Indian tribes visited Des Moines for the purpose of fishing and clamming.
Europeans initially discovered what would become Des Moines on May 26, 1792, during British naval Captain George Vancouver’s journey on his flagship HMS Discovery. The area was initially visited by Americans as part of Charles Wilkes’ Expedition.
John Moore, who arrived in 1867, was the first known settler. On July 2, 1872, his homestead claim certificate (#285) was approved.
In 1887, F.A. Blasher convinced a group of friends in his hometown of Des Moines, Iowa, to contribute to the creation of a community on Puget Sound. The Des Moines Improvement Company completed the repair. In 1889, the Des Moines Improvement Company platted and marketed the land, which was founded by F. A. Blasher, Orin Watts Barlow, Charles M. Johnson, and John W. Kleeb. Lumber mills were the community’s principal source of employment.
Historically, Des Moines was connected to the rest of the world via water. Seattle, Tacoma, and Vashon Island were all accessible via the mosquito fleet. The Brick Highway, the first road, was completed in May 1916. On November 13, 1916, the first cross-Puget Sound vehicle ferry service began between Des Moines and Portage. Until September 1921, this ferry service was in operation. Prior to World War II, agriculture was the backbone of the local economy.
Right after the war, the neighborhood became suburbanized. The county administration was unable to provide the level of service and local control desired by Des Moines citizens as the population grew. Des Moines was formed as a result on June 17, 1959.
On December 12, 1969, an F3 tornado struck near Saltwater State Park, injuring one person. The most prominent feature of the city is its 838-berth small boat marina, which opened on May 10, 1970. A 670-foot (200-meter) concrete and aluminum fishing pier was constructed at the marina’s north end in 1980.
Des Moines annexed Zenith, a rural hamlet founded in 1906 that eventually became a bedroom community for Boeing employees, on November 22, 1982.
WikiMiniAtlas47°23′39′′N 122°19′5′′W (47.394120, 122.317983). Des Moines is situated at WikiMiniAtlas47°23′39′′N 122°19′5′′W (47.394120, 122.317983).
Des Moines has a total surface area of 6.50 square miles (16.83 km2), per the United States Census Bureau.
The majority of the city gently descends to the waters of Puget Sound from an elevation of around 400 feet (120 m) along Pacific Highway’s eastern city limit, affording many residences an unimpeded view of the sound and Vashon Island. This large hillside is extensively incised by the ravines of Des Moines Creek and Massey Creek. (Source: Wikipedia)