Clyde Hill is ranked fourth in the state of Washington based on per capita income, out of 522 communities. Slate named it the wealthiest community in Washington State in 2014.
Additionally, Clyde Hill has placed tenth in the US for the most landscapers hired per square mile, with approximately 1,000 houses per mile.
Except for 2 commercially zoned regions: a gas station and a coffee shop, the bulk of Clyde Hill are classified for single-family use. Along with a small administrative zone, Clyde Hill houses 4 schools: 2 public ones, Clyde Hill Elementary and Chinook Middle School, and two private ones, Bellevue Christian School and Sacred Heart School. The minimum lot size in the City is 20,000 square feet, however, many lesser lots predate the City’s formation.
J. Gordon and Mary Schneidler subdivided and sold over a dozen lots in a five-acre subdivision in the City between 1946 and 1948. Every deed of sale contained the following restriction: “This property shall not be resold, leased, rented, or occupied except to or by Aryan persons.” It is unclear why the Schneidlers used the term “Aryan race.” Typically, this racial idea referred to northern Europeans as opposed to Eastern and Southern Europeans. Thus, the Aryans-only restriction would have excluded Italians, Greeks, Poles, and Russians, as well as Jews and all other non-Europeans.
Clyde Hill was formed as a Town on March 31, 1953, in response to the community’s desire to restrict land use development, such as lot size and commercial zoning. The Council voted on November 10, 1998, to incorporate Clyde Hill as a non-charter Code City.
By a vote of 145 to 117, area people voted to incorporate the town in 1953. Ken Day defeated Don Clark 91 to 58 in the first Clyde Hill Mayors election. All of the Council’s inaugural members were elected through write-in votes.
F. Lee Campbell, – Robert W. Glueck, – P.A. Jacobsen, Leslie M. Rudy, and A.C. Thompson Sr. were the first elected Councilmembers.
John Woodin was appointed the first Treasurer of the Town. Priscilla Alden Townsend was appointed Police Judge, and Roger Bryan was appointed Marshall, by Ken Day.
The 1975 Mayoral election in Clyde Hill drew worldwide attention and intrigue. The election ended in a tie between the two candidates, incumbent Liberino “Lib” Tufarolo and Miles Nelson. Nelson ultimately won the fight on a coin toss, unseating the incumbent in front of national and local media. (Source: Wikipedia)